Saturday, April 19, 2008

I Got It From My Momma

My Mom,brother and two nieces came from Detroit to spend a week of "spring break "with me. My Mom always arrives bearing sewing goodies for me. This time was no different.She brought two huge boxes of books,patterns and notions.

My mother taught me how to sew when I was 13. I was a totally unwilling student of any needle arts,preferring instead,comic books and horror movies.I usually griped and complained through every minute of the sewing process.However I did manage to create a couple of wearable items,under her instruction. During her recent visit she gave me one of my earliest pattern purchases. I'm not putting a date on this but some of you may remember when you had one in your closet. I was wearing that red jumpsuit proudly back then. Looking back now,I probably look a bit like a tomato pincushion.LOL
I'm glad she had the patience to teach me the craft that I now enjoy.You know it,"Mother knows best". Here are a few of the fantastic collection of vintage sewing books she gave me.
Some people read novels before bed,I read sewing books,magazines and pattern instruction sheets.I love the older sewing books.They cover every detail from A to Z. The Crochet book list 500 stitch designs.This is just a small peek at what my Mom brought.There is also a series of books(12) called 'The Art Of Sewing"by TimeLife. I'm still browsing the stacks.Thanks Mom.

4 comments:

Angelia said...

The story of how you learned to sew reminded me of how I learned.. Weren't we lucky to have moms that could sew!

Sheila said...

Have a fabulous week with your family. Ok, come on now put a date on that pattern.. matter of fact I know you have a pic wearing it.

Faye Lewis said...

Really great library additions...don't you just LOVE books?

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the bedtime reading! I often re-read my past issues of Threads magazines and always find something new in them!

Leanne