Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Jacket Drama

I'm currently working on another jacket. I have had a really hard time with this one.Not because of technique or pattern flaws,but because I keep working on it when I'm tired or stressed.
I didn't realize this until I looked at my "sewing commandments".You may have seen these floating around the Internet a few years ago.You may even have them posted somewhere in your sewing room.

The commandments "Thou shall take a break when stressed"and"Thou shall remember to break for sleep,food and personal hygiene"are the ones I have neglected to keep.Now don't turn your nose up yet.I take care of the personal hygiene and I eat,but as far as sleep...I'm up sewing or reading about sewing(blogs,books and magazines) until 2am.lately. Believe me,this isn't working,at least not when I have to get up early the next morning.Late night sewing is so peaceful.Everyone else is asleep and its just me and my sewing.However,I'm going to have to remember to cut it off and get my sleep.

I have sewn and un-sewn each sleeve twice. I have sewn over stop dots several times.I have caught other parts of the garment in seams and stabbed my fingers on forgotten pins.All this drama makes me want to hurry and finish before I get sick and tired of looking at it.

I have the day off, tomorrow and I am determined to finish my jacket.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

I just went thru the same thing with a NL jumper pattern with only 4 pieces. Finally had to walk a way from it for a day, while I got my thought processes together. I wasn't going to let a simple dress outdo me! Its good to know I'm not the only one that this has happened to. Good luck on the jacket.

BTW I've tagged added you to a tag list in my blog.

Cathy said...

Despite the trauma/drama it's looking great! Don't you love days off in the mid-week? They're my best sewing days.

Ebony said...

now you know that this jacket is going to be sharp. Is the collar going to be a black and white pinstripe or is that the interfacing? (I am totally tired today and I know my eyes are just too thru with me) I am going to have to find those sewing commandments and make a huge poster of it for my sewing room.

Faye Lewis said...

I agree - it is looking good. It's been a while since I done a notched lapel and collar! You know I've experienced everything you mentioned and I've been burning the midnight oil in the sewing room also - not good. I have that list of sewing commandments on my bulletin board too and I often break most of the rules.
What color is your jacket?

Sheila said...

I'm sure once all has been done the obstacles you faced were well worth it in the end.

The jacket is coming along nicely and like the shaping... you can do it!

Lory said...

The jacket is looking nice. Don't despair. Sometimes when I get super frustrated with a piece I have to walk away, and try to figure out in my head what I may be doing wrong. It helps a bit. I'm looking forward to your finished piece. :):):):)

Hugs,
Lory