Saturday, October 20, 2012

Skirt Sew-a-long Fun

I'm participating in Faye's "Carnival of Skirts" sew-a-long. I decided to add 2 types of skirts to my wardrobe, one being a maxi-skirt and the other a denim skirt,as I've never owed either.
 I got the maxi cut from this fabric.
I don't know what its called. It is a knit and each strip is a ruffle. It was purchased from Vogue Fabrics back in March. It has movement,texture and an interesting print. I hope the skirt will have a "Wow factor".(I've been watching Project Runway too much)
I've also got to figure out how to hem it. The stripes are suppose to be horizontal.I have cut it out so that the are vertical. This is the selvage.
 I could leave it as the hem and that would allow the ruffles to move freely. I don't know. If anyone out there does knows, please throw your knowledge my way.

7 comments:

BeaJay said...

Wow - what great fabric. I think the selvage would look great as the hem. Can't wait to see it made up.

Sewtellme said...

I haven't seen the ruffled fabric in a print so that's great. Have you thought about serging across the selvage and then hemming?

Summer Flies said...

No need to hem it - it won't unravel ... save yourself the bother.

Faye Lewis said...

What wonderful fabric. I'd leave it un-hemmed.

Lynn (YSG!) said...

I have a yard of similar fabric and hope to make a tank top. I'll be following your progress with interest. Like others, I'd leave it un-hemmed as knits don't ravel.

Sheila said...

Pretty fabric, Cennetta @ Mahagony Stylist just did a ruffled skirt.

Link: http://themahoganystylist.blogspot.com/2012/10/vogue-1292-trendy-classic-skirt.html

Lisa H. said...

Thank you all. You have been tremendously helpful.