Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A Thread's Adventure

This is the way I start my day.Depending on how much sleep I get the night before,this cup is usaully filled with coffee,orange juice or water.



For my latest sewing adventure,I've decided to test drive some of the information found in various Threads magazine articles and give you the scoop on what works and,what doesn't.


I 've started with January 2007 -issue 128,page 54-59.This article is called ,"The Secret to Slinky Knits".I have selected this fabric and pattern.It is slinky knit.I choose this pattern after viewing Melody's beautiful example .You can see it here. http://crazedsewer.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html


The article list basic tools-rotary cutter,cutting mat,walking foot,stretch needle,polyester thread,pressing cloth,and fusible stabilizer tape.(the brand I choose was Steam-A-Seam)

The article suggests using a rotary cutter and cutting mat.I did not use those ,because my cutting mat is to small.I used very sharp scissors and stayed close to the cutting surface without lifting the fabric too much.This worked fine.I also used weights instead if pins.I would suggest using as few pins as possible to avoid snags from pins that may not be sharp enough.The information for cutting was,right on the money.Everything went well.

And sew on...

I don't have a walking foot,which was one of the tools listed.I will be getting one.I was able to control most of the fabric shifting,but with a walking foot,I know this project would have went along a lot faster.All information for sewing and pressing was perfect.The Steam-A-Seam is something I plan to stock up on.It gave a smooth neckline and hem with no rippled edges,while adding a hint of stabilization.The stitch lenght,2-2.5(I used 2) and width 0.5-1(I used 1) was a traditional zigzag.The article advised that a serger was not necessary,so I didn't use one.This is my first slinky knit dress,It went together so fast,that I went out and bought more slinky knit and made a second version the very next day.

And sew on...

The verdict is in. This Threads,article is a winner and has helped me conquer my fear of knits.I'll post pictures as soon as I can get DD or DH to take them.Sew on to the next article.

6 comments:

renee said...

I'll have to get this issue. I've always struggled a little with my necklines and the steam a seam trick is something I should learn.

Faye Lewis said...

Lisa, what is steam a seam I've never heard of it.

Lisa H. said...

Hi Faye.Steam-A-Seam is a sticky back fusible web tape.You peel the paper from one side and stick it on the fabric(a temporary hold) and then fold and iron it and both sides become permanently bonded.

Faye Lewis said...

Thanks, can I get it at Hancocks?

Lisa H. said...

I have never found it in the Hancocks in Macon.I purchased this box in Hobby Lobby, in your neck of the woods.It comes in box about the size of CD.It should be located on the back wall in the fabric area with other fusible tape products.

Melody said...

Lisa, I want to see pictures. Pretty Please!