Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Muslin Making Part 1

I must confess. When it comes to making a muslin,I am extremely lazy. I will find every excuse in the world to avoid it. Because of this laziness,I've had quite few sewing disasters.I ended up wasting time,fabric,notions and money. I read a lot of sewing blogs of which the clever sewist wisely invest her time making a muslin and ending up with a fabulous fitted garment and have become motivated to develop this discipline. I always knew I had to do an FBA on all tops and sometimes add a little to the side. Now I've recently found out that, I have sloping shoulders.
When you take the time to do a muslin it forces you to really look at your figure and what makes yours unique. I took a lot of pictures and selected one to show what a difference a little fitting can make.This is the first muslin with excess fabric pinned up for a better fit.The left side is pinned with red arrows pointing to shoulder pinning and a red line under the pinned bust area. Notice the excess fabric on right side in the same areas.

Now back to the pattern to make the adjustments and a second muslin.To be continued tomorrow.

Meanwhile,I wanted to join the Coat Sew Along back around Memorial Day,but found it is closed.I had purchased a cool pattern along with a few good notions at the Hancock Fabrics Memorial Day sale.Check it out. It features some details I've been wanting to master,like bound button holes and welt pockets. I'm loving the cuffs and collar too. So I'm going it alone. I think it will be challenging and fun.

8 comments:

Omega said...

I love this patten, I have it too, I'm hoping to make mine this Fall. I can't wait to see it when you're done with it. I also enjoy your blog. Happy Sewing!
Omega

Sheila said...

After a disasterous sewing weekend I really need to consider doing a muslin. I may just join you on the coat sew along, I have a few coat patterns and would like to try my hand at one of them.

Faye Lewis said...

Congratulations on your muslin making. I know about the extra time they take up. They do help although I am still not satisfied with the ones for my pants, but I will keep trying. I LOVE your coat pattern, have you chosen your fabric yet?

I passed my final tonight with an 84 - Praise God! So I'm off at night for a few weeks, boy I need a break! I made a knit dress - still needs hemming...then it's on to another piece!

Anonymous said...

I'm embarassed to say I don't know how to make a muslin. I just started sewing again after 30 years and a lot has changed! BTW:I love that jacket........so vintage. I can't wait to see the finished garment!

Anonymous said...

I have the same pattern and would be interested in sewing along with you. When do you plan to start?

Towanda

Lisa H. said...

Thanks for all the warm comments.I plan on starting my coat this week .I haven't found the fabric,but the hunt is on.Please feel free to join me.

Anonymous said...

Nice dress and nice fit!

Cennetta said...

Lovely choice. So Chic! I looks like you'll have an opportunity to practice some great techniques.