Tuesday, January 08, 2013

First Garment-January Jungle Sewalong

My first garment of the year and first for the January Jungle sew along ( see the button on the right) is this snake print jacket.
From this pattern, Simplicity 2341. On my version, I left of the collar and quilted the center front and center back panels. I also lined it.
 I used a hera marker to place a couple of quilting guidelines. This marking tool is great because it marks by leaving an indention in the fabric that can easily be seen.
Quilt a piece of fabric the right general size of the pattern piece.
Then cut the pattern piece. It is time consuming but worth it if you want custom quilted fabric.
Here  is a close up of the zippered pocket and you can better see the print on this faux leather fabric.
I have had the fabric in my collection for about 7 years and I don't have any idea where I purchased it.
 I wore this jacket out and about today. I was comfortable and got a lot of compliments. I think I'll use this pattern again and do a different version in denim.


24 comments:

Sue said...

The quilted panel is a fabulous idea and the jacket is divine!

BeaJay said...

That is so cool - what a neat jacket. Love the "fabric" and the techniques you have used.

A fitting entry to the parade. It is fabulous.

L said...

Sue and BeaJay said it best! Your jacket is fabulous and most divine. The fit is spot on and I love the texture. Very nice!

It's Melanie Darling said...

My my my, don't leave it alone, I will snatch it up and not look back. I lov it Lisa, you did a marvelous job.

Victoria said...

Great job lady!!!! I love the fabric and design!!! Such a great combo. I'm sure you know that red is your color:)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

It is stunning! I love that you took the time to quilt the fabric for the insert panels! Just amazing!

Aminat said...

Gorgeous, love the quilt detail, and a great fit on you

Joyce in NC said...

i agree, your jacket is stunning! Great job on the quilting.

prttynpnk said...

Aw, this is lovely and impressive!

gwensews said...

Sssssssssssssss--snake print--awesome! Nice job on that jacket.

Angela said...

Love this jacket! Very impressed with your creative take on it.

Faye Lewis said...

Very unique! You did a great job on your jacket Lisa.

tulleandtweed.com said...

What a fantastic Jacket and expertly done.

Anonymous said...

Er...uhh...SPECTACULAR!! I love this.... I also love that you showed how you did it :-)
Vita

ElleC said...

Wow, this jacket is stunning, the quilting is what makes it. Definitely a worthy entry for Jungle January. I am not worthy to be in your company. 8-)

Miasews said...

Wow, is that fabulous or what! Shows what a stash if for, lol. Great job on the quilting and well deserved on the compliments!

Carol said...

Girl, you are incredible! I love the colour, the fabric and the style. You look amazing in this jacket. The quilting is perfect - I can't say enough good things about it.

KID, MD said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The work you put into the quilting really shows. This is a work of art!

ebony said...

all I can say is Rarrrrrr! This is hot and such a statement piece!

Judith said...

This is stunning! Great work on this jacket...

Susan said...

Love it!!

Tanya said...

TDF, that is stunning. I have that pattern and you have inspired me to finally use it.

Audrey said...

Beautiful Jacket - I love the quilted detail!

velosews said...

I am not worthy. This jacket is amazing.